Pain is a frequently overlooked side effect of illness and medical treatment, and how we prevent and manage that pain, can have lasting health implications for our patients. Research shows that painful experiences have long-term impacts on children; affecting mental health, healing time, fear and anxiety, and overall quality of life.
But, it doesn't have to be this way.
ChildKind International is working to improve the quality of children's pain care around the world.
We work to reduce the pain and needless suffering of children in medical settings, by educating, evaluating and certifying healthcare facilities, that have developed standardized, institution-wide approaches to the prevention and treatment of children's pain.
We also maintain an open-access resource library, which serves as a database for vetted information and policy on treating pediatric pain.
ChildKind emerged from the Special Interest Group on Pain in Childhood, of the International Association for the Study of Pain, to provide incentive - through recognition and information sharing - for institutions to incorporate pain control as an intrinsic value. Recognition, comes in the form of a formal hospital certification process, where visible evidence of a hospital-wide commitment to children's comfort, and to the five core ChildKind principles, is evaluated by an interdisciplinary team of pediatric pain management experts.
The Five Principles of ChildKind are:
1) A facility-wide policy on pain assessment, prevention, and management which demonstrates a clear institutional commitment to comfort.
2) Ongoing education on pain management for staff, trainees, and patients.
3) Evidence of the sustained use of a developmentally appropriate process for pain assessment.
4) Specific evidence informed, interdisciplinary protocols for pain prevention and pain management including pharmacological, psychological, and physical methods.
5) Regular institutional self-monitoring within the framework of continuous quality improvement.
These core principles can and should be incorporated into every institution in the world, regardless of size, community or resource availability.
Your donation, helps make this possible, supporting the efforts of our staff and our team of dedicated medical professionals.
Thank you for helping us be kind to all children, because no child deserves to suffer needless pain.
Honoring a friend on her birthday and your compassionate care